Saturday, December 01, 2007

Humility

Humility has always been very elusive to me. Every time there is a meeting on it I cringe and last night was no different. It came to my turn and I voiced my standard response... "I don't like this topic because I don't understand humility." Through the years many people have told me that it doesn't matter if I understand what matters is if I have it and they assure me that I do have humility.

Here is Webster's definition of humble ....
"1: not proud or haughty : not arrogant or assertive 2: reflecting, expressing, or offered in a spirit of deference or submission (a humble apology) 3 a: ranking low in a hierarchy or scale" According to this there is nothing humble about me. I am a strong woman with a voice and am proud of where I am at today and will share it with you. I also have no problems with being assertive, having and keeping healthy boundaries. The word submission makes my skin crawl as I gag! I also know that I am a daughter of my Cosmic Muffin and don't crawl before anyone, guess that takes care of that low ranking.

There is a saying... "When the student is ready the teacher will appear." This morning I was the student and the teacher was my husband. He knows the frustration I feel with this topic and stayed up till 3am finding something/anything that would help me. Low and behold in the 12x12... a book that I have read many many times through out the years has my answer... "Another often great dividend we may expect from confiding our defects to another human being is humility--a word misunderstood. To those who have made progress in A.A., it amounts to a clear recognition of what and who we really are, followed by a sincere attempt to become what we could be. When I read this a choir of angels started singing and the heavens opened up and a brilliant light flooded over me. I GET IT!!!

Today I know who and what I am, I also take the actions necessary to become the woman I know I can be. I don't have to give up my assertiveness, or let go of my boundaries. I can be a daughter of my Cosmic Muffin and know I am loved. Most important, I don't have to silence my voice and give up what I know to be true and right for me to submit my life and will to something I don't agree with. Humility gives me the room to grow and make mistakes one day at a time.

2 comments:

Rex said...

WOW......they must have rewritten that book since i read it last....I swear that definition is not in there. It sure makes things so very simple. I spend way too much time trying to complicate such simple concepts. Thanks once again for clearing a path for me to follow. Love ya lots!

twodogsblogging said...

Humility has been my downfall on many occasions. Once I start thinking I'm "about something" I know I'm setting myself up for disaster. Thanks for reminding me.