I would like to share with you about my weekend ...
It started off with a benefit dinner for the local battered woman's shelter. My daughter for a school project had to raise money for the children that are staying in this shelter. We thought it a worthy cause and supported her by getting tickets for a steak dinner at the local VFW with all proceeds going towards the project.
We arrive with our 13 year old son and are greeted by a man with a drink in his hand manning the school sponsored raffle table. It struck me as a bit off that school staff and helpers would be drinking at a school supported fundraiser. The next table we were greeted by was the table taking our dinner tickets and again the staff at this table were drinking. Finally I was able to find my daughter in the crowd ... she was glowing with excitement and I stood proud to know that she was so involved with this project.
My daughter was put in the bar at happy hour to sell raffle tickets for various items. She told of us many men that offered to buy her drinks, men that wanted to know where she went to school and asking for her phone number. She was happy that she refused all offers of money and drink ... she is pregnant and trying to keep sober.
We finally got our table and sat with a man that had nothing good to say about anything. He cussed and swore talked about how too many women were overweight and about how we should hang that black man with that white woman.
As I sat there listening to this man, the story of all the drunks from my daughter, watching the staff and parents drinking I became very grateful for my sobriety and this program. I was able to enjoy all the many small moments and not let the negativity of the evening get to me. I was able to attend a school function sober. I was able to bring to this event peace and serenity ... and return home with it. As a family we were able to laugh and enjoy a wonderful dinner.
Im not sure just when the schools stared allowing alcohol at school functions and I sure don't agree with it. But it feels good knowing that I can be a sober parent and set a good example of being able to have fun clean and sober.
Monday, December 18, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
You are a powerful example of sobriety for me. I have seen by example how to stay in a moment so that I might enjoy it. I have also been frequently remind by your example (and your foot up my ass)that there is always good to be found if ya look for it. Thanks for sharing.
Wow! It sounds like the kids were acting more like the adults than the adults were.
Unbelievable that alcohol is allowed at a public school event. I'd love to hear the District Superintendant justify that to the taxpayers.
Its so good that in sobriety the world can just spin right out of control, and we can choose to stand firmly rooted and not spin with them. Narrow mindedness, bigotry etc....so sad. I'm glad you have a loving family to rise above it and share laughter
Post a Comment