
This weekend was the official ABA BMX Minnesota State Championships. It was a lot of fun and a learning experience for me.
My son has always been a very sick child, last year and this year has been the best years for his health. I was overjoyed when he came to me and asked to join BMX racing. Little did I know what I was getting myself into.
Nikkii has now been a member of the ABA for a month. He has four local trophies, one state trophy and a new boost to his self-esteem. I on the other hand have no money, a new vocabulary, and an up to date first aid kit that travels everywhere we do.
I wanted to share with you about some of the things I have learned…
…people pay 2-500 dollars for very thin bald tires. My son is using the tires that came on his new 350 dollar “GT”. He has already gone through the back tire but bless is heart only got the 39.99 special at the local bike shop. The new tire already has a bent rim… we’ve had it a week. I was told you can get a “spoke tighter” to straighten out the rim. I didn't’t know you could tighten your spokes…new thing learned.
…speaking of bike parts BMX shoes and pedals can run you 250-500 dollars, this is so you can lock your foot onto the pedal. Nice idea considering the crashes I have seen because of the riders foot slipping off the pedal… oh wait he had the shoes and pedals humm. My son has the factory pedals and his skateboard shoes.
...another spendy part seems to be something called the “fork.” This is the part just below the handle bars… silly me always considered it part of the handle bars. A good fork can cost 1500 dollars … needless to say my son has the factory fork.
...A part that I am a lil suspicious of is a hollow link bike chain. I wasn’t born yesterday I looked at my sons bike chain and saw plenty of hollow spots…between every link. Again my son is using the factory bike chain.
...I asked my son, “What number race are you racing in?” He gives me that, are you that stupid mom look and informs me that the race is called a “moto” and he is moto number 13. I give him that, I don’t understand son look and say… “Isn’t Moto that weird guy that says precious from the Lord of the Rings?” It then sounded like my son sprung a leak as he turned around and walked away.
...I cheer on my first born son, proud mom that I am… “Go, go, go Nikkii!” I realize that I am not even cheering correctly. All the other parents around me are screaming in that shrill loud mothers voice, “pedal, pedal, pedal!” Full grown men were walking away with their hands over their ears! Now I can change the go, go to pedal, pedal but that nasty screech I will not do.
...I told my son how good he looked going around the 2nd curve and by the look on his face I could tell I said something wrong. “It’s a berm mom.” So to let ya’ll know it’s not a curve or a turn it’s a berm… unless it is flat then it is called a sweeper.
...the straight part of the track with the little hills is called the rhythm section, now you don't pedal through this you pump with your arms and legs. You also don't don't pedal on the up but do pedal on the down (I may have that mixed up) as soon as I learn what the up and down thing is I will let you know.
...1500 dollar bikes are safe from theft, 68 cent chrommies are not. To let you know you can get cheaper crommies but they are plastic, hummm plastic chrome?
...always bring an umbrella, not because it may rain, it's for that 90 degree sun that is melting your back side to the metal bleachers.
...even if you fed your child before and during the race prepare to order the left side of the menu after the race...super sized with 3 gallons of water.
We had a wonderful time this weekend like I said. All the way there I prepared my sensitive son that chances are he wasn't going to win. We were only going for experience and fun. Friday my son took last in every moto. The light that shown in his eyes and the smile on his face told me that he was just fine. Saturday when we found out he made the main (that is the main race of the event) I was bursting with pride and gratitude. I was grateful that my son is finally healthy enough to be able to experience the wins and losses of sports. When he took third place, I had to hold back the tears.

4 comments:
Wow, your weren't kidding....better get my lingo lessons started....better yet I'll just try to keep quiet. I am so proud of nik and happy for you....the promises really do come true, if we just keep trudging the road....so many things are really coming together for you and I'm so very happy for you. But if ya expect me to hold back the tears, ya better just leave me at home...I seem to cry over everything these days....thanks for sharing. Love ya chickie!
Good for you son and good for you.
Nicely written Anna!
Good to hear your son is healthy to indeed reap the benefits of all his hard work..looks like fun too!
Thanks for sharing~
Awesome for Nikki!!!!! Way to go dude!!! Your post reminded me of my years as a soccer mom with my ex-gf's kids. I was so very excited for our son -- to watch him excel, and girl he was/is GOOD, and to feel good about himself, was an experience I will cherish.
Nikki appears to have true talent since he can do it with factory stuff. How fun for both of you.
Peace,
Scout
P.S. I know that look he was giving you well.
P.S.S. I just moved from MN to TN. I miss the recovery in MN greatly!!!!!
Post a Comment