Thursday, August 17, 2006

Carry The Message

There are many ways to carry the message. We all took different paths to get here and I believe that we see the program differently. I have heard alcoholism called the disease of perception. Is it any wonder why we can hear so many different ways to work this program.

I hear people talk about the spiritual part of the program with such love and passion yet I perceive all the program to be spiritual. Another thing I hear is that meetings keep you sober... I understand it's my HP keeping me sober. Depending on your truth, your message may be different then mine... not to say that you or I may be wrong .. just different.

I had a very hard time listening to the message from certain people. The way they looked or the things they said and did I judged. My ego said I didn't have to listen to what they said because they were some how less then I was. I would even get up and go to the bathroom when it came time for certain people to share.

I was at a round up and the speaker talked about a word... Namaste, it means the HP in me seeks and honors the HP in you. It finally click what my sponsor had been trying to pound into my head for years. It's not the person I need listen to it's the message.

We are only messengers, here in AA there are many messages and messengers. If I seek the HP in you I will hear something, I will be able to listen and understand you a little better because I am listening with my heart. When my ego listens to your ego I wont learn and grow and soon I will drink again.

5 comments:

Rex said...

Good point.....kinda like principles before personalities...Thanks for sharing.

madameplushbottom said...

Wow Anna!!! That is so well said it is amazing. Thank you for sharing this thought, it will help me when I forget to put principles before personalities, which is sometimes so easy to do.

Take care and keep speaking the truth.

Anonymous said...

Not being in AA myself or any Twelve Step program , I tend to stick to my own message of not judging others but promoting
wellness from drugs and alcohol by just sharing from my own experiences.Being a recovery blogger, I read so often, the message from AA and NA and Al-Anon.
It is strong,it is powerful and I have heard it so many times that I can say yes, the messages work from all walks of life in the program!
You are a wonderful example of the unique and caring humans who share and make that awesome healthy difference in the world.
Thanks for being you Anna :)

Trudging said...

I do the same thing, honey!

dAAve said...

profound thoughts, thanks