Friday, April 27, 2007

Put a fork in me I'm done!

Suicide...
~Cry for help to get people to attend to the problems which you are currently experiencing.
~Manipulative action to keep others from changing their styles of interacting with you.
~Way to test other people's loyalty, sincerity, interest, caring, love, and concern for you.
~Way by which you exercise control over others.
~An extremely self-centered and selfish act which will hurt and emotionally scar the people you leave behind.
~An act of cowardice due to your lack of willingness to accept life the way it really is.
~Your last effort to control people in your life.
~Can get caught up in emotionally blackmailing others in order to keep them loving, caring, and supporting you out of "fear'' that if they stop you will kill yourself.
~Could get lazy and resort to this easy answer every time any problem or inconvenience comes up in your life
~Efforts to manipulate others to keep them under your control to act, believe, or behave in a way you need or want them to in order to feel good about yourself.
~"Power tactics'' to intimidate, threaten, or coerce others to fall into line with what you want from them.
~Hooks by which you draw others into your life to be your rescuer, fixer, or caretaker.
~Hooks others from your grave to feel guilt or remorse for not doing enough for you to fix, care for, or cure you.
~Puts the "locus of control'' for other people into the hands of the suicidal victim.
~I can't face this mess I've made.
~Every attempt I make to get out of this hole ends in failure for me so why continue trying?

I am at odds today. I have a friend that has been admitted to the hospital this week because she is "going to kill herself." In reality what has happen is that she made choices based on self and now has a huge mess to clean up. This is nothing new to her .. for years when the consequences of her actions have come back, she cries that she is going to kill herself.

I am not a suicidal type of person. I try hard to live an honest life and not manipulate people into doing what I want them to do. I told my friend that I am tired of the lies and manipulations, I am tired of all the self pity and threats of suicide. I am done with this unhealthy friendship. I have put boundaries out only to have them disregarded. I have expressed what I need only to have it ignored. She is so needy and over dependant upon me ... I often feel I have no space of my own. I told her last night that I just can't and wont keep this type of relationship in my life. Her response ... "It will kill me."

Today I will not be manipulated into a friendship. Today I will put my time and talents into my healthy relationships. Today I will let this gal go and give her to God.

2 comments:

lushgurl said...

How horrible for both of you. Although I can see how you feel manipulated by this girl, I also wonder at the amount of pain she might be feeling to even think about suicide.
I am glad that you can take care of you first.
HUGS

Anonymous said...

I don't know how I feel about suicide per se. I support Dr. Kavorkian and his efforts to end intractable pain that will end in death anyway. I understand despair, because I've had it to the point of giving serious tho't to ending it all. I despise manipulation in all forms, however, and threats of suicide (not actual suicide) can be one of them. I think that in that last sentence lies the key to my feelings about suicide. Actual suicide gives me sorrow; threats of suicide in order to get your way/some attention fill me with contempt. I'd really be interested in seeing other responses to this. As a recovering alcoholic, I know quite a bit about both manipulation and despair. One is real and one is not. Anybody else have something to say? Susan