Love your shadows
"There is that part of ourselves that feels ugly, deformed, unacceptable. That part, above all, we must learn to cherish, embrace, and call by name."
-- Macrina Wiederkehr
Each of us has characteristics we define as ‘good’ and those we define as ‘bad.’ The parts of ourselves that we continually reject want to be acknowledged and loved. Until we honour these aspects, they will continue to assert themselves. They will do whatever they can to get our attention.
What aspects of yourself do you reject?
Take a few moments to open to the parts of yourself that you do not love. See each one honestly for what it is. Explore the wounds and the motives that gave rise to its condition. Love a wounded part of yourself and it will heal.
"...self-contempt never inspires lasting change."
-- Jane R. Hirschmann and Carol H. Munter
"The first step toward change is acceptance. Once you accept yourself, you open the door to change. That's all you have to do. Change is not something you do, it's something you allow."
-- Will Garcia
This reading was taken from Higher Awareness.
Learning to love all the parts that make me whole has been a long fought war within me. Just when I think I am making some progress I seem to fall back or maybe it's just new vision that comes to me.
The only way that I can accept my shadows is to slow down, sit with myself and claim each one that I have declared unaccetable to me. I know that love is the only thing that brings healing and growth...exceptance is not love.
This new year one of my goals is to spend time loving each and every shadow that resides within me. I will bring the light of love and healing to each one...I will fight against division within myself. I will also lift my shadows up to my HP... I will no longer keep them locked and hidden away. I will learn how my shadows affect my life in a positive way and embrace them into what I consider to be my "good" side.
I do look forward to this new area of growth I have committed to. I feel assured that my HP will give me the strength and tools needed for this task. I know there will be days I want to toss in the towel but I have friends and family that will love me through this.
On a side note... I would like to thank each one of you for being a part of my sobriety this year. I sometimes slacked with posting and visiting but you were always here. The things ya'll share with me helps me to open up and become more honest. The advice that I have been given and the things I have learned I will treasure. I pray that all of you have a safe and sober new year and look forward to spending another year sharing our experience, strength and hope together.
Friday, December 29, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

5 comments:
"...self-contempt never inspires lasting change." WOW, now that's what I needed today...exactly. Thanks for your posting today...I found just what I was looking for.
Great Post. YVW. Setting goals and visiting dark places to bring light to them are some of the best thinks that have happened to me. Thanks to you for your guidance along the path too.
Happy New Year
Do not go where the path may lead,
go instead where there is no path and leave a trail - Ralph Waldo Emerson
Happy New Year
I loved this post...I think of this aspect of my process as "the witness" she is the one inside of me who is safe to observe and then teach me about me.
Post a Comment