Friday, July 07, 2006

Today Is Enough

Today's thought is:

A thousand eyes, but none with correct vision.
--Isacher Hurwitz

William Shakespeare referred to envy as the "green sickness." There are only losers in the game of envy. When we envy someone else, we have judged ourselves and found something lacking.

Lack of self-love is the soil in which envy grows. Envious people are never satisfied. Self-pity is never sitting far from envy. We feel sorry for ourselves for what we don't have. Self-pity is like a swamp, the longer we stand in the muck, the more we stink.

Concentrating on what we do have is the perfect antidote for envy. Every one of us has our own special gifts and talents. We find these by looking at ourselves instead of looking at others. By becoming grateful for what we have, we can rejoice in ourselves.

Today let me be grateful for what I have.

You are reading from the book:
Our Best Days by Nancy Hull-Mast


There is this guy in one of the meetings that I go too that always starts out his shares with "Grateful for all the things I have and all the things I don't." I just love that saying! I can get so caught up in wanting the things I don't have that I forget what I do have. I can also get caught up in wishing for a future event (like when the kids are grown and gone) that I miss out enjoying the time I have now with all the many people that I love. In the end I know deep down that I am enough today and that my life is overflowing with blessings and gifts. I am grateful today for all of the many things I have in my life .. and the things I don't.

4 comments:

dAAve said...

Superb!
Have a wonderful weekend while enjoying everything that happens.

Scott M. Frey said...

that's a good thing to keep in perspective, envy and gratitude... it's real easy to judge my insides by someones outsides...

thanks for the good read this morning

peace to you~

Anonymous said...

Yes, I agree Anna.
Today we are grateful for so much we have and yes, we can think of lots we can be grateful for not having as well.Time flies, I am going to savour every morsal of it as best I can.
Good post with an important message.
Thanks for sharing~

Rex said...

Great share. Life is full of blessing and I'm happy I have enough.