Today's thought is:
Success can only be measured in terms of distance traveled.
--Mavis Gallant
We are forever moving from one experience to another, one challenge to another, and one relationship to another. Our ability to handle confidently all encounters is a gift of the program, and one that accompanies us throughout every day, providing we humbly express gratitude for it. Success is ours when we are grateful.
We are not standing still. No matter how uneventful our lives may seem, we are traveling toward our destiny, and all the thrills and tears, joys and sorrows, are contributing to the success of our trip. Every day, every step, we are succeeding.
We can reflect on yesterday, better yet, on last week or even last year. What were our problems? It's doubtful we can even remember them. We have put distance between them and us. They were handled in some manner. We have succeeded in getting free of them. We have succeeded in moving beyond them.
How far we have come! And we will keep right on traveling forward. As long as we rely on the program, we are assured of success.
I can do whatever I need to do, today, with success, when I humbly accept the program's gifts.
You are reading from the book:
Each Day a New Beginning by Karen Casey
I was told early on in sobriety that there are no more big deals and that I now have a solution for all my problems today.
At first I had to scratch my head at this. I wondered how can I be successful when all I can think of is having that next drink. How would I manage being a single mom with a disability. I had no confidence and my ideas of success were centered around money and nice things.
As I walked my path in sobriety my ideas of success slowly changed. Success became going to bed sober, waking up saying thank you. Success was being able to pray for God to bless my feet and keep them on the path of sobriety. Success came when I was able to let go of my fighting...peace and serenity moved into my mind and heart. I was successful in finding and maintaining a relationship with my God... in return I was given the confidence to look at my past and mend the loving relationships I took advantage of. I now know that yes I do have the solution for ALL my problems today... there are no more big deals.
Sobriety has not made me famous, it hasn't given me a large bank account or fancy house. Sobriety has given me success that can't be measured and a confidence to face my day sober.
Tuesday, December 26, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment