Tuesday, May 09, 2006

Why? Why? Why?

Why? Why? Why?

"As long as one keeps searching, the answers come."

-- Joan Baez

Asking ourselves 'why?' helps us delve deeply into our main motives -- why we do what we do. This process helps us go deeper into our reasoning, habits and unconscious beliefs. Once we become aware of our underlying motives, we can choose to change them, if we wish.

Regularly ask yourself, 'Why am I...?' Listen closely for the answer that surfaces in your mind, and write it down. Now look at your answer and ask why again. Continue with this process to reach the true source of your motivation.

"Men are more accountable for their motives, than for anything else...."

-- Archibald Alexander

Long time no post! Thanks for the reminder Mack Daddy.

I got this in my mail today and it really fits. There is a relationship in my life that I keep asking the Almighty "Why??" Why feel this way...why why why. The book says when something gets too troublesome go work with another alkie. I have worked with other alkies try to put focus on my family I have done so much to try to avoid the thoughts and emotions. What's THE truth what's my truth...what's the path I need to take? My sponsor says a-c-c-e-p-t not e-x-c-e-p-t. I have done a little more accepting when it comes to this relationship but deep down in my soul I still except a lot of it. I am afraid and tell myself all the time "fear is not real!" Yet all the past rushes back and tells me you dare not look here or accept what is so deeply hidden. Another question I ask the Almighty is "what is the lesson?" It's a lesson so big and runs so deep that it overwhelms me and the answers have been very elusive. Yes I can let it go, work with others, talk to my sponsor...I can do all the right actions yet it's always there just under the surface.

2 comments:

Rex said...

Great post. I need to work a little harder at finding the motive beneath the surface. Thanks for the reminder

Scott M. Frey said...

when the student is ready, the teacher shall appear.... more will be revealed, etc, etc.. acceptance truly is the key.... I learned in recovery, that with somethings I had to stop asking a bunch of questions and just go with the flow and try to be at peace. Maybe that fits where you're at, maybe not but I wanted to share it with ya. I hope ya get things sorted out! Keep comin back!