Sunday, April 02, 2006


Today's thought is:

Many of us achieve only the semblance of communication with others; what we say is often not contingent on what the other has just said, and neither of us is aware that we are not communicating.
--Desy Safan-Gerard


When we don't listen fully to each other, when we don't revere the Spirit within others that's trying to talk to us, we destroy the connection that wants to be made between our Spirits. Our inner selves have messages to give and messages to receive for the good of all. Our ego selves often keep us from hearing the very words that would unravel a problem in our lives.

How hard it is, how often, to be still and to fully listen to the words, rather than the person. How much more familiar it is to filter the message with our own ongoing inner dialogue--our own ongoing continual assessment of another's personhood at the very time our higher power is trying to reach us through them.

There really are no wasted words. Messages are everywhere. We can learn to listen.

I will hear just what I need to hear today. I will open myself fully to the words.


You are reading from the book:
Each Day a New Beginning by Karen Casey


I was taught by my sponsor to listen to the message not the messenger. This was and still can be a hard thing to do. I would like to think I am a good listener that I am able to free my mind of comments or slamming shut when another is speaking. Reality is when I hear certain things my mind closes or I want to argue. It's always easy to listen when I agree and like the messenger but some of the best messages have been hard to hear from messengers I really don't like. I heard a speaker use the word "Namaste" meaning the Spirit in me bows to the Spirit in you...I started using Namaste in my everyday life from that moment. It's brought me to a new level of being able to just listen...to just hear what someone has to say...without adding too or taking away. I still have a long way to go in this area. Namaste everyone.

Powered by Castpost

5 comments:

Rex said...

Thanks Anna. Great lesson to remember. I too often hear the messenger and miss the message.

Scott M. Frey said...

That's a great read Anna, thank you. I too suck at listening. It comes from my self centeredness... I am better, but I have along way to go. Thanks for being a part of a successful start to my day. Now, if only I can take this successful start beyond my garage door, he he!

Anonymous said...

I used to be an interupter when someone else was talking.so busy needing to share my own thoughts that I didn't slow down to listen to others.Its way different now.
I enjoy listening to others.
Thanks for sharing~

Rex said...

hhhmmmm........don't see anything new yet......what's up with that.

Anna said...

ummmm if you look at the entire blog you will see that I have posted...besides I am sick .... remember??