Friday, February 17, 2006

I sit and ponder this morning what does it mean to say "I love you". There are so many different forms of love, the love you have for your children, for friends and finally for a lover. I have read and studied much about love in the hopes that it would help me to be a better person. In the bibles description of love there is nothing mentioned of physical attraction and we are to love people in that one way.... Love is patient, love is kind does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud is not rude, it is not self-seeking is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs does not delight in evil, but rejoices with the truth always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres never fails. ICorinthians 13:4-8.

When I say that I love is it the body or the soul? We all know that we are spiritual beings and the body is just a shell that will pass with time. For me I want to be loved for who I am not the body I reside in. So then I should love that very same way. But there is a fear there, all the what if's come to mind. All the words and expectations of society. The world around us balks at same sex love, vast age differences, and beauty. Yet is it not the spirit or soul that we truly love?

6 comments:

Rex said...

When you get that all figured out do you think you can share it with me?

Anna said...

hahahaa I will be more then happy too :)

Rex said...

Okay so I re-read it about five times.....makes a little more sense....maybe.....but I'm with you on that whole soul and shell thing....

Rex said...

so......after about a hundred times I think I get it.....cool!

Scott M. Frey said...

To me, it seems easier to love the exterior than the interior for most people. It's safer, shallower, offers less pain if somehow things go awry.
(as evidenced by all the social "requirements" people have put on "love" appearance, age, sexuality, etc.)

Having said all that... while certain parts of me have concerns or let's say attrations about appearance or age (certain base, male parts of me he he honest program, no offense intended) The reward comes from putting all that aside and finding the inner beauty, the real person inside the shell. I mean heck, my wife is 11 yrs my senior... We didn't catch too much flack other than from her parents.. It's worked out fine so far... a day at a time, only because we're both in recovery, and understand these things... And well, with a 4 yr old and a terrier pup, you can well imagine how high on the scale the physical components of a loving marriage have become, and ya know, that's ok today... (that was not a complaint, only to illustrate a point :-) )

great, thought provoking post!!

Anna said...

hahahahah Are you sure you dont have some blond in there???